Monday, January 8, 2018

Songs Of Proof: The Class Of 1986

The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation began in 1983, and the first round of inductees were in 1986.  So, logically, I should wait three weeks from when I announced the project.  But we won't do that.  We're going to leap right into this.  Just as reminder, this is show and tell, not a voting matter.  The reasons for choosing songs vary between inductees, Vocal Group Hall Of Fame Songs Of Proof will appear in parentheses, and have fun.

We begin with the inaugural class, the one inducted in 1986.  Pretty obvious list of people inducted, and yet, still not without controversy.  A couple glaring cases of Front Man Fever to begin with, and right out of the gate, a seemingly ambiguous category whose specifications are not altogether clear.  Nevertheless, a tremendous case to begin with.  So, what songs would I use to represent these inductees?  What songs have you chosen?

Chuck Berry:  So, these are in alphabetical order, and this man comes first in the first class, because I go by last name, not first names.  We've gotta start strong.  Luckily, you can't get too much stronger than Chuck Berry.  To honor the great Chuck Berry, we're going with the semi-autobiographical classic.  Arguably his signature song, and the one that went aboard Voyager 2 to demonstrate the sounds of Earth.  "Johnny B. Goode" gets this project underway.

James Brown:  I will probably hear no end of it from fellow monitor Bill G., but I did in fact choose "I Got You (I Feel Good)"  I realize this is a song that credits the Famous Flames, but they're nowhere to be heard on this one, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a solo James Brown song.  Anyway, a great R&B classic with lyrical structure that borders on actual verses.  Maybe it's better to go with this song, as Brown as a soloist wasn't technically eligible either.  So, this only serves to perpetuate that problem further.

Ray Charles:  This is the first of many, many instances of deviating from the incredibly obvious.  The choice of "Unchain My Heart" is only semi-obvious.  A hit on the Pop charts, but a #1 hit on the R&B charts.  This is a great song with a solid beat behind it, but sadly one that isn't remembered as well as it should be.

Sam Cooke:  There are several good choices here, and I honestly question my choice for this one.  Rather than using "You Send Me" or even "A Change Is Gonna Come," I chose to show how intrinsic soul is a part of rock and roll, and used "Twistin' The Night Away," a fantastic song with a solid beat that was part of the dance craze during the early '60's. 

Fats Domino:  While this choice also keeps up with the trend of rollicking R&B, rather than the songs the artist is best known for, the truth is my selecting "I'm Ready" is really more because this is my favorite song from the Fat Man. 

The Everly Brothers:  The fact that they were pretty young when they broke big allowed them to plug right in to youth culture, which made them a part of the rock and roll discussion, rather than being remembered primarily as a country and western duo, (though they've been inducted into that Hall Of Fame too!)  So, my choice for them was a fairly countrified selection with subject matter that comically spoke to youth culture while also framing it as a victimhood of circumstance.  "Poor Jenny" is a song you need to give a listen if you can't easily recall it.  (Vocal Group Hall Of Fame Song Of Proof: "When Will I Be Loved")

Alan Freed:  Our first inductee outside of the category people care most about.  A great legacy with a tragic end.  A White deejay who made a specific point to feature Black records.  Sadly, it's not entirely without blemish in that nobility either.  Still, the fact he helped bring R&B to the forefront should overshadow his weaseling songwriting credit for songs like "Sincerely" by the Moonglows, and I've chosen to honor the man with this fantastic song.

John Hammond:  So, what makes this man a "Lifetime Achievement" inductee, and not another "Non-Performer" inductee?  It's all speculation, but my hypothesis is that much of what he achieved was accomplished before the conventionally accepted beginning of the "Rock" era.  He helped jumpstart the careers of many music legends before rock and roll became part of our vernacular, and worked toward desegregating the music industry prior to rock and roll going mainstream.  So, since he was more a "Pre-Rock Non-Performer," they may have originally felt uneasy calling him a regular "Non-Performer" inductee.  That's just speculation.  Similarly though, he did a lot for rock and roll, including bringing Bob Dylan to Columbia Records, so I've chosen to use the lead-off track from the classic Blonde On Blonde album.  That would be "Rainy Day Women #12 And 35."

Buddy Holly:  Unlike James Brown, I was a bit more meticulous with my selection here, in that I made sure the song I chose was in fact credited to only Buddy Holly, and not to the Crickets.  And he did have plenty of hits, too, but the nice thing about Buddy Holly's legacy is that there aren't too many songs of his that are considered obscure.  Therefore, I'm pretty happy with my selection of "Rave On," which barely scratched the Top 40, but is a widely loved cut from the man.

Robert Johnson:  Another inductee that it's hard to go wrong with.  I still can't understand all the words to "Terraplane Blues," but I enjoy trying to sing along with it, and it's considered a pretty important record; ergo, I'm calling this one good.

Jerry Lee Lewis:  The man really was a lot more than just two songs, but even the most thorough of Oldies radio stations will have maybe only four songs by the Killer.  And in order to make this into a radio show, as I originally wanted to, this one would almost absolutely have to be "Great Balls Of Fire," which still isn't a bad call, in the end.

Little Richard:  The wild man!  The man who changed our language, giving new, nonsensical interjections and the whoop that is unmistakably his.  Is it any wonder that I'd go with "Tutti Frutti"?

Sam Phillips:  And once again, we choose to bait and switch here.  Widely remembered for bringing the world Elvis Presley, and yet, when I think of him, I think more of the overall legacy of Sun Records.  When I think of the sound of Sun Records, I really think more of Jerry Lee Lewis than of Elvis Presley.  So, Jerry Lee Lewis is used twice in the same year, and I really don't have a problem with that.  "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" for Sam's sake.  Besides, Elvis is used many times throughout this series.

Elvis Presley:  A lot of people hate Elvis Presley, or what they think he stood for, what he symbolizes to them.  As someone who wasn't born until after his death, I don't have nearly quite that level of attachment to that debate.  Objectively, though, you cannot discuss the history of rock and roll and omit the man and his contributions.  His sex appeal spoke to the girls who wanted him and the guys who wanted to be him.  Heck, even Ricky Nelson got into the music business because his girlfriend at the time was so big into Elvis.  He knocked down doors and had such a prodigious output that he kept rock and roll thriving during the early years.  And if you think of rock and roll in terms of albums and not singles, well, you have Elvis to thank as much as the Beatles.  Billboard made the album charts, the Top 200, a regular feature in their weekly publication originally to keep track of Elvis's success.  He's the King Of Rock And Roll, not just in the '50's, or '60's, but also in the '70's too.  So, it is with sincerity, not mocking, that I chose to honor Elvis with his version of "Burning Love."  (Sidebar: the Jordanaires have yet to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but they have been inducted into the Vocal Group Hall Of Fame, and their Song Of Proof there is "(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)".)

Jimmie Rodgers:  Sometimes you strike gold on the first try.  The first song from him I found on filesharing services was "Blue Yodel," which is also known as "T For Texas."  It was a good copy, and it's a country song with the classic blues A-A'-B format.  If that isn't the proteins and amino acids coalescing in the primordial soup to help make rock and roll, then I don't know what is.

Jimmy Yancey:  Originally, I was using "Cuttin' The Boogie" because it was the only song I could find on firesharing servers!  Thank goodness for iTunes, as using "State Street Special" is much more fitting, and considered much more important of a song.

That's the first year right there.  Sixteen inductees, sixteen songs.  I'll recap below for anyone who simply chose to skim.  Meanwhile, think about what songs you'd use for these inductees, and share them below.  And start to think really long and hard about the next class, the biggest one the Rock Hall has had to date.  Look forward to your sharing your choices in the Comments section below!

Recap:

Chuck Berry: "Johnny B. Goode"
James Brown: "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
Ray Charles: "Unchain My Heart"
Sam Cooke: "Twistin' The Night Away"
Fats Domino: "I'm Ready"
the Everly Brothers: "Poor Jenny"
Alan Freed: "Sincerely" by the Moonglows
John Hammond: "Rainy Day Women #12 And 35" by Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly: "Rave On"
Robert Johnson: "Terraplane Blues"
Jerry Lee Lewis: "Great Balls Of Fire"
Little Richard: "Tutti Frutti"
Sam Phillips: "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" by Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley: "Burning Love"
Jimmie Rodgers: "Blue Yodel"
Jimmy Yancey:  "State Street Special"

2 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna give a song to Non-Performers that had nothing to do with any actual creating or artistry (ie: record label executives, promoters, journalists, DJ's, etc.), but will contribute ones to songwriters.

    Also, I'm not gonna pick my favorite song from the artists, but the song I feel is the "defining/greatest" song from each artist that was a hit of some kind (though in my most cases my thinking of what is the defining song of an artist had to be a hit of some kind, whether it was on the charts or in the minds of the general public). With that said, here we go...

    Chuck Berry: "Johnny B. Goode"
    James Brown: "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
    Ray Charles: "What'd I Say"
    Sam Cooke: "A Change is Gonna Come"
    Fats Domino: "Blueberry Hill"
    The Everly Brothers: "Bye Bye Love"
    Buddy Holly: "Peggy Sue" (if it has to be without the Crickets)
    Robert Johnson: "Cross Road Blues"
    Jerry Lee Lewis: "Great Balls of Fire"
    Little Richard: "Good Golly Miss Molly"
    Elvis Presley: "Jailhouse Rock"
    Jimmie Rodgers: "Blue Yodel No. 1 T for Texas"
    Jimmy Yancey: "Yancey Stomp"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that does sadden me you don't wanna recognize execs, and such. I hope you'll reconsider. I did say every inductee was to be honored in my introductory post, but obviously, I can't make you come up with one either. Nice to see we agree on a few of those, though.

      Delete